For the treatment of glaucoma in adults, the recommended dose of pilocarpine solution drops is 1 to 2 drops instilled into the eyes up to 6 times daily.
The recommended dose of pilocarpine gel is to instill a half-inch-long ribbon into the lower eyelid sac once daily at bedtime.
Your doctor will choose the strength of pilocarpine that is best for you based on the pressure inside your eye.
The following procedure is recommended when using eye drops:
- Wash your hands.
- Tilt your head back and gently pull your lower eyelid away from your eye to make a pouch.
- Drop the medicine into this pouch, then let go of the eyelid and gently close your eyes.
- Do not blink.
- Keep the eyes closed and apply pressure to the inner corner of the eye with your finger for one or two minutes to prevent excessive absorption into the body.
- Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may have gotten on them.
- Do not touch the dropper or the applicator tip to any surface (including the eye).
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
It is important to use this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature and keep it out of the reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.