Make it stop!
When a headache strikes, it can feel like an eternity before it disappears. Don’t stress out – if it’s a tension headache, you’ll just make it worse. Try these methods instead for quick relief:
- Take a warm shower – steam relieves sinus pain.
- Apply an ice pack for a maximum of 20 minutes at a time.
- Massage temples with your fingertips (better yet, get someone else to do it!).
- Place a cold, moist towel over your forehead while lying down.
- Take a walk – fresh air helps.
- Rest and take a nap.
Preventing headaches is better than treating them. We’re often too quick to grab that bottle of painkillers. Here are some non-medication ways to avoid tension headaches:
- Avoid or eliminate the stressful situation.
- Get regular exercise.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Eat regular meals – skipping meals can cause headaches.
- Avoid excess caffeine and alcohol.
- Prevent eyestrain – don’t work for long periods at the computer without taking breaks to rest your eyes.
- Wear sunglasses and avoid squinting in the sun.
If you need to grab those pills, talk to your doctor or pharmacist to find the best one for you. There are a variety of headache medications to choose from. Remember to continue with the non-medication methods above to get the best results.
No matter what, if headaches get worse or become more frequent, see your doctor.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2017. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/Headaches